Friday, September 4, 2009

Yum! Yum! Blackberries!


You can add blackberries to our list of things that we are really loving about Washington! I know many people around here consider blackberries nothing to get overly excited about but we are not there. We have had two family outings so far to pick these delicious berries.









We got to have Grandma here for Round 2 of the picking.
The first time we froze most of them on cookie sheets and stuck them in freezer bags for future use. (I am really enjoying them on my cold cereal!) Easton thinks they are quite delicious and I love that he's eating something so healthy. I just have to make sure he's down to his diaper and that there is nothing within his reach/drop that I want purple.





Here is Easton viewing his masterpiece. Unfortunately I was not quick enough with the camera to capture his hilarious smile when he looked at himself. He thought he looked quite good!

Now if body painting or frozen blackberries aren't your thing we tried out another way to enjoy these delicious berries. It involved a lot of time and helpful hints from the internet and my ever-so-amazing in the kitchen friend, Jaime. Our results were these:















I now understand why these jars are called "beautiful". I was quite proud of all of our work and don't know that I will ever attempt this big job of canning alone! Thanks Mom and Ryan for all your hard work! (Oh, and in addition to the jars being beautiful, the jam on the inside is sooooooo yummy!!!!!!)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just go right ahead and get some of that boxed up and shipped to me :-) I'm VERY impressed!!

melissa gargalis said...

so yummy! Love blackberry jam. So fun to go and pick them yourself.

The Gray Family said...

well aren't you the domestic one! The jam looks really good, and little Easton is cracking me up. Isn't his birthday coming up? Crazy how time flies!

Heather said...

Wow! Good job Shelley!!! I just loved those blackberries!! I was luckily able to bring some back for Seth, little smooshed - but perfect on top of vanilla ice cream!! YUM!!! The pics of Easton are so great!

Kyra said...

blakberry jam and pies are my fave.. i love easton wearing the berrys! hes too cute!

Kirsti said...

Nice work. Chad and I picked Blackberries once and I think we ate more than we brought home. Your jam looks tasty! Little E-man looks adorable. Miss you guys...okay I might just have to plan a trip to WA...even thought it takes FOREVER! Blake keeps talking about your boys. It's safe to say he misses them!

the Chandler chronicles said...

Wow, I am totally impressed with all the jars of jam! Easton is adorable! :)

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Ok looks like little Easton is having a total blast with those blackberries!!! He did make quite the mess I must say, but that is one of the best things about being a kid!
The jar's of jam look beautiful and quite yummy! You did done good!

Jaime said...

Yea!!! I knew you could do it Shell!!

I love that Easton throughly enjoyed himself. He is growing way too fast.

Your jars are just beautiful as I knew they would be. Peaches are ready here in UT. would you care to hop on over and help me?

JENN said...

hey shelley, hope you don't mind i blog jumped from jaime's blog. your family looks awsome.

enjoy your jam-it looks really great. i just started on some of those utah peaches and pears. hope they all turn out like your fruit did!