Sunday, March 2, 2008

Righting Ryan (or trying to)


Letter From the Editor --
Anonymous said...
{ I have been blog surfing lately for baby names and found your site b/c we have son's with the same names, Camden & Caiden. You have a beautiful family, I am sure you feel blessed, and it sounds like you are an amazing Mommy!! I was very saddened however at the snide comments about "Ryan" who I am guessing is your hubby. Would you want to be spoken/written about the way you've written about him? No human deserves that, even if they deserve it, b/c we all are imperfect. I encourage you to read a great book by Dr. Emmerson Eggrichs (sp?) called "Love & Respect". I am guessing you loved your husband enough to marry him, and it looks like he is a good provider, loves his family, and loves you enough to stay. SO many women don't have that stability. Count your blessings... your relationship to each other is crucial to your children's well being now and future. God Bless You!

3/2/08 7:01 AM }

Dear Anonymous,
Thank you so much for your care and concern for our relationship as a husband and wife. It's nice to know that there are others out there that feel just as strongly about families as we do.
But I must let you know that my wife has yet to post on our blog. Yes, it's true, this is all the work of her husband. So even though I'm contsantly being 'snide' when I write, it is about myself. Some people out there might wonder why I have such a low self-esteem, and feel a need to put myself down all the time (probably to make myself feel better about me....If that analogy can be applied to a case like this), but I don't even let it bother me! Better people have said worse about me than I could ever say about myself, so I just tend to ignore me.
To my dear wife, I must apologize. There have been few times in our (almost) 9 year marriage that I have made her cry, but this happened to be one of them. Just the thought of someone out there "thinking that (she's) some witchy wife who hates her husband" was too much for a pregnant woman to bear.
Shelley, I will defend your honor!
I now proclaim to the world that my wife married down! (sorry mom) And despite my best efforts to convince her of her error, she continues to love and honor me at levels that would make a storybook romance burn its pages in shame.
Shelley I love you and can only hope to show the kind of love to you that you give to our whole family on a constant basis.
Let's take a moment to analyze the areas of concern to help other bloggers avoid the same mistakes....
1 - "You have a beautiful family, I am sure you feel blessed, and it sounds like you are an amazing Mommy!!" -- Well thank you! but I'm the Daddy. (don't worry about it... because I lack a similar vocal structure to Barry White, I've been called ma'am on the phone plenty of times)
2 - You're dead on! I wouldn't want to be spoken/written about the way that I've written about me. No human deserves that, and even if I do, I am after all, imperfect.
3 - "I encourage you to read a great book by Dr. Emmerson Eggrichs (sp?) called "Love & Respect"." -- Can I get a hold of a copy that he's written in third person???
4 - "God Bless You!" -- Yes he does!
To my friend Anonymous, Thank you. You've helped me to see the error of my ways (like that's hard, right?) and I'm torn between the realization that I may never be able to post again...., or offending so many more of our loyal readers through my beligerant and derogitory attacks on that helpless victim.... me. (*sniff*)
In the future I will do my due dillegence as a blogger and research out the true character of a person behind the facade that is the outer layer of my onion.
In closing my dear anonymous, do not misunderstand my comments, I do not intend to make fun or humiliate anyone (except myself) with my response, it's just that I don't want to sleep on the couch. Something that I must say I am proud to have achieved a score of zero times thus far in life. And if you have any suggestions for baby names, we welcome both male and female suggestions.
Your BFF - Ryan.

11 comments:

Kirsti said...

What???!! I am so confused...but what's new....Ryan I never have understood you. Shelley I think that now would be a good time to take over the blog...you can do it I have faith.

Heather said...

Well first off I just have to say that I love Ryan(in a brotherly way of course) and really LOVE his sense of humor! He makes me laugh out loud at very innappropriate times(at church) and not many can do that to me...ok well maybe a lot of people do that to me, but he is definitely one of them! :) I have always known that it is him who does the posting, so I never felt like he was being wronged - I just knew he had a sense of humor about himself, which by the way I think is a good thing to have! Anyways, I love you guys and know that you have a great marriage and "love & respect" each other soooooooooo much that it is ridiculous... I just want to squeeze you guys, squish your heads off and dangle them from my rearview mirror! :) So if I can back you up on that in any other way just let me know - I'm here for you guys and anyone else who is a blog friend of mine!

Kirsti said...

Okay I now get it! Thanks for the clarification! If you are going to comment on someone's blog make sure you know what you are doing. If you don't even know the people then maybe you are biting off more then you can chew...and you are sticking your nose where it doesn't belong....this is why people go private. Do your snooping secretly...get your baby name and get out!!!

Niki McDowell said...

I think anonymous need to post an apology! All of us who know you guys and are readers of your blog obviously knew that it was Ryan writing everything. Way to quick to judge. We are all greatful for Ryan's sense of humor which all makes us laugh everytime we read your blog!

Jean Willard said...

I can't believe someone actually wrote that on your blog. Poor Shelley, I totally felt so bad when I read it. You are nothing like that at all! Personally, if I did think you were writing, I would have known it was all joking. Some people are a little too literal.

Kim said...

Dear Ryan, Shelly (and Friends),

This is “Anonymous” writing as herself, because I truly didn’t mean to “snoop”. I am a Christian wife and mom who enjoys and welcomes mom-blog-surfing because it connects moms from all walks, with whom I now share life experiences, encouragements, and wisdoms. I now realize your blog is not one of these public kinds, and I will honor that and not visit again.

I usually check profiles before commenting because of this exact, unfortunate miscommunication situation (and in respect to my husband, I do not initiate friendships with other men). So, I noticed your profile said “female”; and it didn’t even cross my mind that a female profile was a man talking as the husband in the third person! I apologize for this simple ignorance.

I simply left my comment because although I am female, at times my emotion just takes over as I have a heightened sensitivity to and sadness from our ultra-feminist, men-bashing culture (i.e. tv portraying men as dumb jerks, other mom blogs who truly hate men, etc). It seems to me that many women are demeaning men today in ways for which they used to curse men for demeaning them.

Although your life doesn’t impact ours at all, I am so glad to hear that I had such a wrong impression of Shelly! Shelly, I am sorry! Ryan, my husband says to you; “you are fearfully and wonderfully made by God”.

God be with you all. Goodbye.

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Wow, interesting!!! I just want you to know that I personally think that you (RYAN) are one of the funniest persons that I know, I love your since of humor and KEEP IT UP!!! I also want you to know that I think that you and your wife are one of the cutest couples I have EVER SEEN and I hope to model my marraige after yours. I love the love you constantly see between the two of you no matter what! You are a beautiful family and I appreciate you sticking up for yourself and your wife and family! You guys are great!

Jaime said...

WOW!! It seems that I have missed alot while I've been packing!! Seriously, Shell you are an amazing Mom and my BEST friend and I Love you to pieces! I can't imagine anyone thinking anything less of you! Obviously they clearly do not know anything about you! Ryan I LOVE ya too, you guys have an amazing marriage and have been a wonderful example to me.

I'm going to miss you guys this weekend, it won't be the same without you guys!!

The Gray Family said...

wow...when I read this post, I thought the letter from "anonymous" was just Ryan being Ryan :>) It took me awhile to realize that it was a real comment! We love you guys, and you are just about as perfect a family as I know!

Anonymous said...

You know what?...I LOVE THE COOKS...Your family is wonderful and my home teachers ROCK!!! Thanks for coming by today!!!

WaynenRissnKids said...

I will follow everyone else and start with WOW! We also thought the anonymous was from Ryan until we read all the way through. 1-Shelley don't worry about some anonymous person who doesn't know you at all. You're a great mom, wife and friend. (You were always willing to help me when Wayne wasn't around-Thanks!) 2-Ryan we think you're hilarious and we miss being around your humor. You guys have a great family!
3-Pregnant?? How come that wasn't posted? When did this happen, when are you due? You guys are holding out.