Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Cub Scout Cake Contest



Last month was Caiden's first Pack Meeting for Cub Scouts! He was really excited about it because it was a cake decorating contest. Caiden has a very competitive edge (I don't know where he gets that from) and had BIG plans of winning first place. We've had lots of fun making some cool cakes in our family and Caiden come up with his own theme for the cake - Camping! Luckily the internet had some camping cakes for us to check out. (Mostly they were professional cakes that we knew were far beyond our skill level so we improvised.) He wanted all the stuff that makes camping "Camping". For the trees Caiden rolled sugar cones that had been frosted green in the coconut that he had dyed green and then stuck them on top of pretzel rods. Of course a campfire was vital so he placed Jelly Bellys in a circle for the firepit and then orange-dyed coconut over the firewood (pretzel sticks). Caiden LOVES fishing and so we concocted a pole using another pretzel stick and the Twizzlers pull-n-peel licorice and hung that into the Jello river next to a grahm cracker Goldfish. I think our favorite part of the cake was his little Scouts (Teddy Grahams) roasting their own mini marshmallows.



Caiden was disappointed that there was NOT a first place prize awarded. Each Scout got a certificate for uniqueness. Caiden was awarded "Most Professional Looking". I am quite positive that most people probably thought Caiden hadn't touched the cake but he really did most of the work. We really all had lots of fun making Caiden's camping cake!

6 comments:

sdale1 said...

Caiden,

Your cake rocks!!! You did such a great job. I'm totally impressed with all your work and creativity. I can't believe that you are already in cub scouts. Your mom told me you'll get your bobcat tonight. Congratulations!!! I love you.

Grandma

The Gray Family said...

that is pretty impressive! I would give him first place :>)

Kirsti said...

Blake thinks that is totally cool! Nice work you guys. Are you coming for the holidays?

Courtney said...

What a great looking cake. Almost too good to eat. Great job Caiden.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Caiden! We love the cake - wish we were camping together right now eating it. We sure miss you guys!! Talk your mom and dad into coming down so we can go camping :-)

Kipn n' Sarah said...

That cake looks AMAZING!!! I think that most professional looking is pretty much first place ;) That is such a creative cake. Way to go little guy! That cake is the coolest!