Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Righting Ryan

I usually write this portion of our blog from Shelley's perspective about all the dumb things I do and her need and effort to correct or eliminate my less than desirable qualities (many of you will recall the comments she received about being less than appreciative about having me from an anonymous third party blogger......[that was hysterical!] and my need to defend her honor afterwards.) but I decided to take a different approach today and write as myself.

I'm taking time to stand on my soapbox today and ask people to stand up for moral issues that are facing our nation. I'm not urging anyone to go out and write their senators, try to call the president, or campaign door-to-door, but I wouldn't object to such actions considering the gravity of the situation at our door.

I was recently watching an NBA basketball game when I saw an advertisement that simply disturbed me. I wish I could say that this ad was just more of the obvious filth that we're exposed to on a daily basis like Alcohol, gambling, or even pornography, but in my opinion, this is so much the worse.

I wish I could say that people all over our Nation recognized it for what it is, but I'm afraid this is one of those things that Satan has seemed to be able to ensnare us with by using flaxen cords until we are led away and in his grasp. It wasn't a week later that I was out shopping with my wife when we were approached by a vendor that was trying to give out free samples as if they were a drug dealer trying to hook children at a playground.

I found out that the basic components of this (I'd like to call it a narcotic) are derived from plants that can be found on several continents, It is often used as a tool for zoologists when they need to work with large animals and are concerned about keeping them "Happy", or to lessen their rage. Authorities say that trace amounts are also being put into foods available to you in your local grocery store.

I hope my cousin will forgive me for using her personal experience as I try to drive home the dangers of what we're up against. While visiting his grandparents on their ranch in southern AZ, my cousin's 3 year old son came across what I can only guess was one of her teenage brother's "stash" and had to be life-flighted to Phoenix Children's. To make matters worse, this happened on Christmas day, and one day before their son's birthday.

Through my research I now understand that this is being referred to on the streets as "PB" or sometimes "Crunchy-Butter", and can be purchased over the counter without age restrictions.

One of the most interesting parts of the gospel for me is researching and trying to understand the signs of the times. One of my favorite quotes comes from the scripture; And men shall call evil good, and good evil. This is no more evident in our daily lives than it is in the following ad.



I'm asking friends and family alike to stand up against this atrocity, to recognize the cunning of the devil in all it's forms, and to make a better life for your children and grandchildren for generations to come. Let's abolish this evil practice and keep the few celestial and pure things we have on this earth in their proper state.

I have a petition out to Truth.org to accept this onto their list of products like tobacco that they currently campaign against, but until I hear word back, please join me at AbolishPB.org and make your voice heard.

9 comments:

The Cook Fam said...

Ryan, you are one crazy guy. I think you're going to have a pretty tough time getting people to join. I for one refuse. Peanut butter has always been and will continue to be a staple in our home, even with your extreme hatred of the substance.

Love you, :)

Shell

Jessica said...

Ha! Love this. Hilarious, Ryan. I haven't tried it yet, but when I first saw the ad I thought it looked good! I love peanut butter. :)

Heather said...

Oh man, you never disappoint! Love this and I really laughed out loud! You have actually made me want to try these now! I would call that peer pressure! Miss you guys!

Niki McDowell said...

Ryan I can understand why this upsets you so. I know your love for snickers, especially frozen ones if I'm right and your distaste for peanut butter and here they are combining something you love and something you hate together! How dare they. On the second hand Peanut Butter is amazing!!!! And I don't know how you don't like it!!!! You are hilarious though.

Rachael said...

Jace just ran over to see what was so funny because I was laughing so hard. He should have been your kid so you could have the peanut-free home. Too bad I'm stuck craving that candy bar from the commercial and can't even have it.

Kyra said...

I didn't get it.... i really thought you were serious. wow.... i obviously have not been around you enough in a while...you guys better get down here before I forget your sense of humor entirely!!

Jillian said...

Good grief, Ryan!! I was totally trying to figure out what this issue was the whole time I was reading this post. I don't watch the news and I was thinking "I really have to get caught up." Then to see the commercial.....bwahaha!!! You know that my family will not stand up for this - being that I am fairly certain I taught your sweet wife and children the joys of smearing peanut butter all over your pancakes or waffles :-) Love you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

Ryan,

That was stunning!!! But, I love 1/2 of a bagel toasted with butter, PB, and honey along with sliced bananas. So good...

Melissa said...

Sorry, count us out... as a family who regularly eat peanut butter straight from the spoon, we tend to believe anything with is better with a little pb.