Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Righting Ryan (or trying to).

I've heard from enough people now to know that I need to apologize for my recent behavior.
I didn't call anyone when Easton was born.

My wife is clearly upset with me and has let me know that her friendships have been damaged due to my negligence. I was assigned the task of letting friends and family know that we had a new addition and instead of performing up to expectations, I called both our parents and left it at that.
Having worked so hard to earn my new reputation as a traitor to the feminine cause by treating their feelings about babies and phones like it was something I did as an occupation, I wouldn't want to ruin that reputation now by Actually doing the right thing, so instead I put it back on your shoulders.
Anyone is welcome to call my wife and let her know you were so excited to hear the good news. You can even tell her that I called you! (she won't believe you anyway)
But please don't take it out on Shelley or Easton.
If you do feel offended in anyway, I apologize, but I also promise that any future assignments with me and the phone will most likely end in the ladies researching class action law suits.


Then there are some things that I've heard from people that I don't want to apologize for! And I probably won't :)
let's talk Name Claiming!...
It used to be that Names actually meant something to people. They were a way to remember heritage and inspire character within a family line or nationality. It used to be an honor to have someone named after you or a loved one past. But our generation has seen the bestowing of a title turn into a sport of nomenclature, where the object is to score the cutest, most fashionable, or unique name to separate our children from 'other people's children',(you know who I'm talking about) and give our kids an advantage in this world because we named them, and it's not just any name, it's got class, style, sophistication. We're talking names like __________ !(fill in the blank) (I hear a young gorilla saying "okay, he's your baby.")
The Problem isn't really in the naming though, it's in what we go through to make sure that our children grow up with an original name. We resort to name claiming! A process of statutes and addendum's we incorporate into our conversations with others about our children's names, and how no one else should use a particular name if we haven't yet, because of the crushing of dreams that would accompany finding out some other _________ exists in another family that we know.
Threatening friends and relatives with the silent treatment if they dare use a name that we've claimed as our own!
Well..... let me set the record straight.
There's been some discussion lately about how I've 'stolen' names from my dearest of friends, or at least their wives. How we at one point or another had a delightful discussion about names that they've cherished since they were little girls and dreamed about naming their little bundles of ..... joy.
Let me start by saying that if I've ever been involved in a baby names discussion with anyone, I was merely nodding my head and saying uh-huh to be polite, and that I was definitely tuning you out. I'm not trying to hurt feelings, or be rude, it's just that I truly don't care.
In fact, I stopped caring about and discussing names shortly before the birth of our second child because of a 'baby names' conversation with my cousin. I wanted a boy named Dyson (could call him Dice), but after my cousin heard it she had to laugh and say "Dyson Cook? like...dice and cook"....Totally turned Shelley off for life. (love you Shauna! :) )
So now, I'll set out to clarify how we've come up with our children's names, and lay down the rules by which I will govern your using them going forward.

Caiden Ryan Cook
Caiden - we read it in a baby names book ("35,000+ Baby Names" by Bruce Lansky)- Kadin (Arabic; Friend or Companion. The spelling was inspired by a friend in high school explaining how he wished his name were spelled so people said it correctly. We only used the one name though. Didn't even think about claiming the other 34,999+.
Ryan - Named after a great man that I've known my whole life....good looking, charming, funny, humble....... anyway...

Camden Reegan Cook
Camden - Read it in the same book. Camden (Scottish); Winding Valley. (? whatever)
Reegan - Same Book. Reagan (Irish); Little King. (Makes up for the first I guess)

Londyn Jade Cook
Londyn - Heard the name while working as a referee for Peoria Youth Soccer in AZ. Loved the name, and decided I wanted to name my girl London. Shelley inspired the spelling.
Jade - When I was 12 we had neighbors name their little girl Jade, and I loved it. Decided that I was going to name my girl Jade. (looks like I put all my eggs in one basket huh.) - Actually, I have one more name Ashleigh.

Easton Zachary Cook
Easton - Read it in book (guess which one) and put it in a list of names that seemed to flow with what we discovered was a pattern in naming our children. In the end, we picked Easton over Preston and Creighton for no real reason. (we still like the others and they both work with our pattern)
Zachary - Although I'd like to say we named him after a great friend in AZ, I'd be lying...Sorry Zach. Shelley named him after her old boyfriend. (J/K - she's hitting me...) It's just a name that she threw out, and I immediately said "cool, then I can call him EZ" and it stuck.

For those of you that like any of these names, please use them, it's okay. My Dad and his brother have sons with the same name, and it didn't turn either of them into idiots. (well, at least we're sure the names didn't contribute)(My mom and my aunt Andi will understand)
For those of you who hate me or my names, you can file your complaints in the comments section, and we'll see how fast I get to them ( it's kinda like the phone for me... I should really do better with this communication stuff huh.)

P.S. To the husbands -- If you ever need me to turn your wives off to a particular name, let me know the name and I'll work on ruining it for her.

13 comments:

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Ryan you are a fantastic writer! I totally agree with all that you wrote and it is so silly how people can get offended about things that really have nothing to do with them at all.
I think your little man is absolutly adorable as all of your kids are!!! He is stinkin cute cute cute and I love the EZ thing!
Congrats on your beautiful new addition!!

Anonymous said...

Okay I am CRACKING UP!!! Thank you for your thoughts - I couldn't agree with you more. This has been most helpful at this time in our lives where we are trying to figure out what to name our baby that could come any day. I never think you should have to ask someone for their permission to use "their" name. I mean seriously there are over a million names out there for the taking and if you like one go with it right?? So with that being said, I'm going to just decide on a name that I LOVE and who cares who has already used it or thought about using it since they were six years old. After all I carried this little booger around for the last nine months in absolute pain I should at least be able to name it something that I like and not have to worry about offending someone/somewhere. Your honesty (blatant honesty) was refreshing :) Not to mention your word usage like - Nomenclature - that is a serious big, fat, smart word :) Thank you!!

Okay about calling people.... Well lets just say you do have a little bit going on right after a baby comes and sitting on the phone calling 50 people is simply not one of them. No need to apologize - go ahead and enjoy the birth of your son :)

Easton is adorable!!! Thanks for posting the new pictures - wish we were there to hold him :) Hugs to all of you!! Love ya!!

Todd + Emily said...

RYAN your awesome!!! I agree with everything you said. So when I have my first boy and I want to name him Cayden I hope you don't get mad!!! LOL! I think the names your chose for kids are cute names. But I loved what you wrote and I totally agree with you!

Lindsey said...

AMEN!!!! Love you post Ryan! Too bad you are having any of these thoughts or people projecting their feelings on you at such a special time in your life. I havent enjoyed reading a post as much as I did yours. The new pictures look great! He sure is a pretty boy. You are a total crack up Ryan.

Hugs

Melissa said...

That kid is getting too stinkin' cute! I can't wait to come and see him again. You guys will have to just keep reproducing, so as to not deny the world of incredible amounts of cuteness.

Kirsti said...

Easton is very cute! Thanks for the photos.

Jaime said...

Ry, you are too much!! Thank you for setting the record right with proper name claiming. You never know, if I (by some very small chance) have a boy.....I have always loved the name Caiden!!

EZ is just too cute, he totally has the "Cook look" goin' on! I wish I was there to snuggle him!

marcie said...

that is such a cute picture - Ryan I am so impressed you had so much knowledge about the whole process. I always used name decoys because no one ever really says anything bad about the name once it is attached to a little human.

The Gray Family said...

I think you guys have picked great names (for great kids!). And I think posting pictures on the blog is a great substitution for making a million phone calls :>) What a cute little guy!

WaynenRissnKids said...

Congratulations to you guys! I'm a little late getting that message to you, but since Ryan didn't call me...J/K. :-)
Easton is adorable!! You two have the CUTEST family and he just adds all the more to it! I wish I could see him in person.
I hope you're doing well.

Anonymous said...

Oh Ryan...I am so sorry that I ruined baby name conversations for you. But you really wouldn't want to put your child in a position where they could be mocked mercilessly would you? Kids these days are ruthless! I was only looking out for your family :) Needless to say, you've done very well with the names you have picked so far. (Congrats on the baby by the way...I haven't had a chance to say that yet!)

Courtney said...

Well congratulations to you guys. Easton is very cute. I'll have to give Shell a call soon.

Rachael said...

Zach is going to be heartbroken. j/k we knew it wasn't after him, but were just glad that he didn't ruin the name for you :) Zachary just works well - like our Jace Zachary - Zach was just excited it was JZ (I on the hand don't think that being associated w/ a rapper is so cool).