With this year's tax return I decided that it was time I owned a sewing machine. Not just so I could say that I had one but so that I could actually learn how to use one. So in May (I think) I made the big purchase. With the advice from a few different people I went with a Pfaff. So far I am really happy with it. My first project was making a big silky blanket for Londyn. That went fairly well. Then I attempted sewing up a few holes in some clothes. Next with the help of my friend Melissa I recovered my Boppy for the baby and made a matching burp cloth. Then when we were in Utah I saw my nephew's blanket that my mother-in-law made and loved it and wanted one of my own. It was then I got the wild hair to try and made the whole crib set to coordinate with the blanket. So over $200 later I had a bunch of fabric, a mat and a rolling cutter. The blanket was where I started. Just attempting to cut long straight strips of fabric and then attempting to sew them together in straight lines. In a night I had that together (although not perfectly square). I then took the blanket to our Bishop's house where his sweet wife Natalie quilted stars and swirls on the quilt (Love it!)

Next I took on the skirt, just a couple of pleats... not too hard. The bumper pads were next. Ryan shared with me his thoughts on what would look great (which I took). I used Londyn's bumper pads instead of stuffing them.

The crib was starting to look good but the room needed a bit more help so I made 2 valances and 2 pillows for the chair.

The only part of the bedding that I did not make was the crib sheet. I bought fabric for it but the lady at the store cut it too short so I was not able to make the sheet. Happily I found a sheet which matches rather well on clearance at Target. So that is that. I am so happy that it's done and so happy to say I feel like I accomplished something which I feel was quite a task.
11 comments:
Holy Cow, Shelley! I can't believe you made all that. I have been sewing for years and I don't think I could do that. I think I must have gotten burnt out because I've lost the desire to sew. Your story has inspired me. Maybe I will get back into the swing of things!
Shelley!!! The finished project looks amazing. Seriously it looks like something from Pottery Barn. Way to go. We hope all is well with you. You are almost there only a couple more weeks. Glad you posted the pictures so we could see the finish project.
Nice work! Glad to see that it work out with minimal stres. I would have been at the "nut hut" if I would have attempted mine, plus having an expert sewer for a mother doesn't help...I can't take the pressure! So I just let her do the work and I know I am happier with the end result! I am really proud of you!! (seriously).
I am BEYOND impressed, Shelley!! That is amazing and it looks soooo good! Not that I doubted your sewing skills, but that was not a small task! Great job!!
I guess you did get a "wild Hair". Way to go. Everything looks super cute. One of these days I'll get motivated to sew again. I love the blue and brown. Super cute!
looks awesome Shelley! You did a great job. I never got that motivated with my kids (considerable lack of skill was also a contributing factor). Although I guess it doesn't matter so much since I still haven't gotten poor Carson out of the port-a-crib...
You girls are quite dang amazing. I have a sewing machine that my mom gave to me that I also do not know how to use but really really want to learn! I seriously want lessons from all you amazing girls! Love the colors and everything you did! He is going to love it!
Congrats on a project well well well done!
Thank you...Thank you...Thank you... for finally posting pics. They are amazing, I'm really impressed girl, you are getting so many "skills" down, I'm going to be comming to you from now on!
Everything looks so beautiful, you should be proud! :) You need to post some belly shots for those of us who haven't seen you lately.
Way impressed! And all this from the girl I had to teach how to do laundry our first week at college. But the sewing is not even something I'm going to attempt as I realize it's way beyond my skills. I'll stick with laundry :)
You know how impressed I am... you are such a natural at the sewing thing!! The room came together perfectly... now, we just have to figure out how to get that little guy to come out so he can enjoy it.
Post a Comment